In This Section
Beaumont Hospital - Farmington Hills
28050 Grand River Ave.
Farmington Hills, MI 48336-5919
Map Contact Us
Specialists in psychological services for older adults providing mental health services since 1987
When a family member suffers from a mental or emotional illness, everyone else in the family is affected. Beaumont Hospital - Farmington Hills is here to let families and patients know they are not alone in caring for an elderly parent or older loved one with physical and emotional problems. Geropsychiatric Services provide a short term, quality care setting to assess, diagnose and treat acute mental health problems in geriatric patients 55 years and older.
- Comprehensive assessment and diagnostics
- Specialized Individual and group therapy
- Individualized treatment plans
- Multi-disciplinary team approach
- Concurrent medical management
- Discharge planning
- 24 hour clinical nursing team
- Specialized activities
- Reminiscence Therapy
You are not alone
Depression and other emotional illnesses are a significant problem for older adults.
- National statistics show that one out of four older adults suffers from serious emotional difficulties related to aging.
- Depressed older adults have the highest risk of suicide.
- Nineteen million people will suffer from depression at one time in their lives. Of these 80 to 90 percent can be effectively treated.
Referrals can be made by:
- Mental Health Practitioners
- Family Members
- Human Service Professionals
Find out how to admit someone to our Geropsychiatry Service.
Signs and Symptoms
- Insomnia or too much sleep
- Loss of interest in regular activities
- Crying spells
- Poor appetite or overeating
- Disregard for personal appearance
- Agitation or aggression
- Sad or blank look on face
- Thoughts of suicide
- Forgetfulness or confusion
- Withdrawal and isolation
These symptoms are not normal at any age and should be considered an illness in the elderly. Most emotional illnesses in older people are treatable, especially if dealt with early.
Benefits of the Beaumont - Farmington Hills program
- A multidisciplinary team approach
- Individualized treatment care plans
- Comprehensive medication assessment and education
- Improved overall mental and medical health status with treatment of psychiatric symptoms
- Guidance, consultation or referral for community resources at no cost
Call (248) 471-8723 for a free consultation.
Our staff is available 24 hours a day.
All information is completely confidential.
Is it Dementia or Depression? Read our comparison chart to find out.