Botsford News Release
Farmington Hills, Mich. (September 8, 2009)---September is National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month and according to the Michigan Department of Community Health ovarian cancer causes more deaths than any other cancer of the female reproductive system, yet it accounts for only three percent of all cancers in women.
The symptoms of ovarian cancer are often vague and subtle, which make it more difficult to diagnose. Dr. Monique Gillman, an Obstetrician and Gynecologist at Botsford Hospital, says, “It is important to be educated about the disease and its symptoms especially if you are at high risk for developing ovarian cancer. Listen to your body and don’t ignore the symptoms.”
Signs and Symptoms
· Vague but consistent gastrointestinal problems such as gas,
· nausea and indigestion
· Changes or discomfort, such as a pressure or fullness in the pelvis
· Unexplained changes in bladder or bowel habits
· Frequency and/or urgency of urination
· Shortness of breath
· Unexplained weight changes
· Abdominal bleeding
· Age (especially around menopause)
· Family history of ovarian, breast, endometrial or colon cancer
· Infertility and not bearing children
· Have an Eastern European (Ashkenazi) Jewish background
Prevention and Risk Reduction
· Use of birth control pills for more than five years
· Hysterectomy/Tubal Ligation
If you would like to speak with a Botsford doctor about your risks for ovarian cancer, please contact Botsford’s HealthMatch at (877) 477-DOC1.
ABOUT BEAUMONT HEALTH
Beaumont Health is a not-for-profit organization formed by Beaumont Health System, Botsford Health Care and Oakwood Healthcare in 2014 to provide patients with the benefit of greater access to the highest quality, compassionate care, no matter where they live in southeast Michigan. The organization has budgeted net revenue of $4.1 billion and consists of eight hospitals with 3,337 beds, 168 outpatient sites, nearly 5000 physicians and 35,000 employees and about 3,500 volunteers. In 2014, the combined organizations had 175,675 inpatient admissions, 16,229 births and 492,148 emergency visits. Beaumont Health is the largest health system in Michigan for inpatient admissions and net patient revenue. For more information, visit beaumonthealth.org.
MEDIA CONTACT: Lynn C. Anderson, Director, Marketing & Public Relations or Beth Montalvo, Publications & Media Relations Coordinator
PHONE: (248) 442-7986