Farmington Hills, Mich., September 12, 2006---Family, friends and colleagues gathered at Botsford General Hospital in Farmington Hills to attend a reception celebrating the life and career of Joseph H. Langnas, D.O., who passed away in 2005. A named fund was announced to recognize his years of supportive and compassionate leadership. The Joseph H. Langnas, D.O., Memorial Laboratory Enrichment Fund was established with donations from his family members and fellow physicians. The fund supports professional development for Botsford’s laboratory staff.
Born in Vienna, Austria, in 1931, the young boy and his family spent World War II as refugees in northern Italy. After the Italian liberation in 1944, they were among 1,000 refugees who were given temporary asylum in upstate New York. After 18 months in the camp, the family moved to Detroit, where he completed his education and later raised his family. Married for 50 years to Frieda and the father of four, Dr. Langnas saw son Michael and daughter Susan Feber become attorneys and two sons, Alan and Gary, follow him into medicine. Both sons performed post-graduate clinical training at Botsford.
Dr. Langnas first practiced as a family doctor for eight years. His interests changed mid-career, which led him to complete a pathology residency at Detroit Osteopathic Hospital. Board-certified in anatomical pathology and laboratory medicine, with a special interest in diagnosing cell abnormalities and malignancies, Dr. Langnas worked for 15 years as a staff pathologist at Botsford. Then, he became medical director of the hospital laboratory and finally department chairman in 1987. In this leadership position, Dr. Langnas guided the development, relocation and expansion of Botsford’s laboratory. Active in many national and state professional societies, Dr. Langnas was a pathologist of the highest professional and ethical standards. Botsford honored him in 1997 with its 25-Year Distinguished Service Award and in the following year with its Lifetime Service Award.
Donations to the Joseph H. Langnas, D.O., Memorial Laboratory Enrichment Fund are being accepted by The Botsford Foundation, a 501(c)3 organization. To make a tax-deductible contribution, please make the check payable to The Botsford Foundation, 28050 Grand River Avenue, Farmington Hills, Michigan 48336-5933. For more information, contact Margo Gorchow, executive director of The Botsford Foundation, (248) 442-5045.
Botsford General Hospital, an independent, acute care, 330-bed community hospital in Farmington Hills, Mich., was founded in 1965. Nationally recognized for quality, safety and medical education programs, Botsford has received the 2005 Solucient 100 Top Hospitals: Performance Improvement Leaders award and the 2004 Governor’s Award of Excellence for Improving Care in the Hospital Setting (for treatment of heart attack) and Improving Care in the Emergency Department Setting (also for heart attack treatment). Botsford’s Web address is www.botsford.org.
MEDIA CONTACT: Nancy Dumas, Beth Montalvo or Stacy Brand
PHONE: (248) 442-7986