In This Section
Botsford Hospital Library
Zieger Administration & Education Center
28050 Grand River Ave.
Farmington Hills, MI 48336
Phone: (248) 471-8434
Fax: (248) 471-8060
Closed weekends & holidays
Botsford HealthSource Magazine
Scale Down: Top Weight-Loss Tactics
Dietitians and health experts agree that slow weight loss—no more than 1 to 2 pounds a week—is the safest, most healthy way to lose weight and keep it off.
These tips can help you lose weight safely:
- Cut the fat, not the flavor, from food. In most recipes you can use one-third to one–half of the oil, butter or margarine called for.
- Pay attention to portion size. A serving of chicken or meat should be the size of a deck of playing cards. Restaurant portions are usually two to three times larger than this.
- Count beverage calories, too. Most alcoholic drinks are fat-free, but their calories can add up.
- Read food labels. Different brands of similar products can have surprisingly different amounts of calories and fat.
- Cook with nonstick cookware and use vegetable oil spray.
- Eat at least three meals a day. Skipping meals is not a good idea.
- Eat Breakfast. Research shows your metabolism—your body’s fat-burning potential—drops when you skip the morning meal.
- Control after-dinner snacking by setting a specific time for a light healthy snack.
- Start and stick with a regular fitness routine. Eating light and exercising regularly are equally important to weight loss.
To learn about Botsford Hospital’s weight management program, ReNew, call (248) 473-3100.