In This Section
Botsford Hospital Library
Zieger Admin & Educ Building
28050 Grand River Ave.
Farmington Hills, MI 48336
Phone: (248) 471-8434
Fax: (248) 471-8060
Closed weekends & holidays
Botsford HealthSource Magazine
Medicine 2.0 : How Technology Can Help Your Health
You may already use Facebook to find old friends and your smartphone to check email. But did you know high-tech gadgets and networks can also connect you with medical resources?
Depending on your health needs, technology may be just what the doctor ordered. If you’re looking for:
- Up-to-the-minute news about disease outbreaks and disasters: Turn to Twitter. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sends instant updates, or “tweets,” that are 140 characters or less. Read them at twitter.com/CDCemergency. Botsford Hospital is also on Twitter, and in the event of a local emergency, is one source to help keep you informed. Follow Botsford at twitter.com/BotsfordNews.
- Help managing chronic conditions: Try a smartphone. Programs for these phones are called applications or apps. Some might give you reminders about checking your blood glucose if you have diabetes. Others can send test results to your doctor. You can download a symptom checker app at itriagehealth.com/get-mobile.
- Health messages to share with friends and family: Send an e-card. Have a cousin who is pregnant or a parent with diabetes? Share your words of support that link to reliable medical information. Find a few at cdc.gov/ecards or www.niaid.nih.gov/ecards.
- Timely reminders about health topics and wellness events: Find out on Facebook. Hospitals are most likely to post news and health messages on Facebook, the largest social media site. Botsford Hospital posts healthy living tips and local wellness events at facebook.com/BotsfordHospital.
- Associations such as the American Academy of Family Physicians and the National Institutes of Health (facebook.com/nih.gov) also provide Facebook updates about medical issues.
Take steps to ensure your high-tech sources are reliable. Look first to pages and services sponsored by reputable organizations. These include the U.S. government, universities, and national associations such as the American Heart Association or hospitals. Also, carefully check privacy policies before sharing personal information.
LIKE BOTSFORD HOSPITAL ON FACEBOOK
for healthy living tips from our experts, information
on local wellness events and a look behind the scenes at the hospital. Go to Facebook.com/BotsfordHospital.