In This Section
Botsford Hospital Library
Zieger Admin & Educ Building
28050 Grand River Ave.
Farmington Hills, MI 48336
Phone: (248) 471-8434
Fax: (248) 471-8060
Closed weekends & holidays
Botsford HealthSource Magazine
Safety Tips for the Do-It-Yourselfer
lf home improvement is part of your summer plans, you probably have all the equipment you need to get started. But, what about safety knowledge? If you want your home improvement to be successful—and safe—you need to take some precautions.
Wear Safety Gear
- Wear safety glasses when sawing, nailing, using power tools or working with concrete.
- Add a mask and gloves when using chemicals or other harmful materials. Check chemical containers for specific recommendations.
- Lace up sturdy shoes or boots to protect your feet from nails and sharp objects.
- Put on a hard hat if something could fall on you or hit your head from the side or back.
Maintain a Safe Work Environment
- Keep tools and equipment in safe condition and check them regularly for wear or breakage.
- Make sure the area has adequate lighting.
- Keep walkways and stairways clear to prevent tripping.
Use Caution with Dangerous Materials
- Keep saws, paint thinner and other dangerous products locked up so that young children cannot get them.
- If your home was built before the 1970s, it may contain asbestos in the building materials or insulation. Breathing in asbestos fibers may cause lung cancer and other health problems. Call an asbestos professional before beginning any major repair project.
- Homes built before the mid-1970s need to be tested for lead. Ask your local health department for directions. Renovations can kick up dust that contains lead, which can affect development and growth in children.
- Avoid using paint and other flammable materials in poorly ventilated rooms. Fumes can make you sick or build up and cause explosions.
Act Fast in an Emergency
If you suffer a serious injury while working on a home improvement project, don’t wait to get medical attention. Botsford Hospital has one of the best-equipped Emergency Centers in the area.