Botsford Hospital
28050 Grand River Ave.
Farmington Hills, MI 48336-5919
(248) 471-8000
Map Contact Us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Hospital Blog

Summer 2010

Botsford HealthSource Magazine


Questions? Botsford Doctors Have the Answers

Question: When should I be concerned about pain from an old sports injury?

Answer: You can ease most mild pain with self-care and over-the-counter pain and inflammation relievers. But, it’s time to talk with your doctor when your pain:

The best treatment for your pain will depend on the cause. You can help your doctor narrow down what’s causing your discomfort by providing specifics. Explain where it hurts and exactly how it feels. Describe what, if anything, brings on the pain, makes it worse or makes it better.

Your doctor may also want you to undergo studies, such as an X-ray or MRI. These images can help your doctor diagnose joint or tissue damage and evaluate healing from prior surgeries.

In most cases, chronic pain management starts with medicine and therapy. In fact, current research shows that the most successful pain treatment involves a combination of medication, therapy and lifestyle changes. Some common treatment measures include:

To ease pain related to damaged tissues or joints or improper healing, surgery may be necessary. Many innovative procedures are available to help address the underlying cause so that you can live pain-free.

Other Resources


Physical Medicine


Family Medicine