Guest post by Usha Ramaswami, Central Michigan University, Dietetic Intern
This wonderful Asian-flavored salad has great flavor and provides great nutritional value and cancer prevention. One serving provides 123% of your daily value (DV) for vitamin K, 59% DV for vitamin C and 24% DV for vitamin A. All of this for a mere 42 calories, Enjoy!
Recipe: GINGERED CABBAGE
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 6 cups thinly sliced green or Savoy cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1 TBS minced fresh ginger
- 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 TBS soy sauce
- 1/2 TBS rice vinegar
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Slice cabbage and mince garlic and set aside for 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting properties.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a large stainless steel skillet.
- Sauté cabbage, scallion, garlic, and ginger over medium heat for 3-4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, and season with salt and pepper to taste.